20 November 2015 - SARAH PATTON - Guest Writer & Poet





SARAH PATTON

- Guest Writer & Poet -

G'day folks,

Welcome to the life of a writer, mum, screenwriter and poet; not necessarily in that order. 

Welcome, Sarah ...





1.   TELL US A LITTLE ABOUT YOURSELF AND YOUR WRITING JOURNEY.

My journey begins when I was a child and my mind would be filled with stories. I would day dream so much time away it is a wonder I ever got through school. I wrote poetry in high school and worked on my college newspaper. I was involved in theatre and wrote a play but never had much confidence.



2.   WHEN AND HOW DID YOU BECOME A WRITER?

It wasn’t until a few years ago that I became serious about my writing and really sat down to do it. I discovered my thoughts came in the form of dialogue and discovered that is my calling – screenwriter and playwright.



3.    WHAT TYPE OF PREPARATION DO YOU DO FOR A MANUSCRIPT? DO YOU PLAN EVERYTHING FIRST OR JUST SHOOT FROM THE HIP?

Usually a story comes to be out of nowhere. I can be inspired by a song, something someone says or a poem. I don’t do much planning except by working out some ideas in my head and then hit the keyboard.





4.   WHAT DO YOU ENJOY MOST ABOUT BEING A WRITER?

That I have the potential to make someone else feel something.



5.   WHAT IS THE HARDEST THING ABOUT BEING A WRITER?

Making the time to write. Getting my writing out into the world.



6.   WHAT WERE YOU IN A PAST LIFE, BEFORE YOU BECAME A WRITER?

I am currently a wife and mother and that comes first. I also have a full time regular job.



7.   WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST WRITING ACHIEVEMENT?

Finishing my first script. And really loving it!



8.   WHAT ARE YOU WORKING ON AT THE MOMENT?

A short fantasy story.



9.   WHAT INSPIRES YOU?

Watching the world around me, when I can, in quiet observation.



10.              WHAT GENRE DO YOU WRITE?

Science Fiction and Fantasy



11.              DO YOU HAVE ANY TIPS FOR NEW WRITERS?

Write! Write! Write!



12.              DO YOU SUFFER FROM WRITER’S BLOCK?

All the time.





13.              DO YOU HAVE A PREFERRED WRITING SCHEDULE?

I wish I did.



14.              DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE WRITING PLACE?

Sitting at my desk next to our sliding doors and they bring in natural light.



15.              WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST JOY IN WRITING?

Finishing a project!



16.              WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE AUTHOR AND WHY?

I would say my favorite screenwriters are Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat.



17.              WHAT’S THE GREATEST COMPLIMENT YOU EVER RECEIVED FROM A READER?

That they felt emotional while reading it.





18.    WHAT WAS THE WORST COMMENT FROM A READER?

That my writing sounded like someone else’s.



19.              WRITERS ARE SOMETIMES INFLUENCED BY THINGS THAT HAPPEN IN THEIR OWN LIVES. ARE YOU?

Sometimes.



20.              OTHER THAN WRITING, WHAT ELSE DO YOU LOVE?

Playing the ukulele.



21.       DID YOU HAVE YOUR BOOK / BOOKS PROFESSIONALLY EDITED BEFORE PUBLICATION?

Not yet.



22.      DESCRIBE YOUR PERFECT DAY.

Silence.





23.              IF YOU WERE STUCK ON A DESERT ISLAND WITH ONE PERSON, WHO WOULD IT BE? WHY?

My Dad. He has passed away but we got along the best. If I was stuck with anyone…I would want it to be him.



24.              WHAT WOULD YOU SAY IF YOU HAD THE CHANCE TO SPEAK TO WORLD LEADERS?

Try playing monopoly it’s more fun.



25.              WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS FOR THE FUTURE?

Have my scripts performed, my poetry published, my graphic novel drawn and my book finished.



26.              WHAT FIVE BOOKS WOULD YOU TAKE TO HEAVEN?

None.



27.              DO YOU SEE YOURSELF IN ANY OF YOUR CHARACTERS?

Yes, but I try and make them stronger and more confident than I am.





28.              DOES THE PUBLISHING INDUSTRY FRUSTRATE YOU?

Yes. It’s clogged.



29.              DID YOU EVER THINK OF QUITTING?

Nope.



30.              WHAT WAS YOUR FAVOURITE MANUSCRIPT TO WRITE? WHY?

A script. I love the dialogue. That’s the easy part.



31.               HOW WOULD YOU DEFINE ‘SUCCESS’ AS A WRITER.

Being published and being able to speak of my success to help others.



32.              WHAT SHOULD READERS WALK AWAY FROM YOUR BOOKS KNOWING? HOW SHOULD THEY FEEL?

I want my readers to feel something…anything. Cry, laugh, hate it, love it…anything is better than nothing.





33.              HOW MUCH THOUGHT GOES INTO DESIGNING A BOOK COVER?

I think a lot should go into it. Because people do judge books by their cover.



34.              WHAT’S YOUR ULTIMATE DREAM?

See my name roll on the credits as “written by.”



35.                WRITING IS ONE THING. WHAT ABOUT MARKETING YOU, YOUR BOOKS AND YOUR BRAND? ANY THOUGHTS?

Not really.



36.               ARE YOUR BOOKS SELF-PUBLISHED?

They probably will be.





37.              DESCRIBE YOURSELF IN FIVE WORDS.

Loyal, persistent, committed, mother, loving



38.              WHAT PISSES YOU OFF MOST?

Someone wasting my time.





39.              WHAT IS THE TITLE OF THE LAST BOOK YOU READ? GOOD ONE?

Pirate King by Laurie King. Brilliant!





40.               WHAT WOULD BE THE VERY LAST SENTENCE YOU’D WRITE?

I waved and she waved back.





41.               WHAT WOULD MAKE YOU HAPPIER THAN YOU ARE NOW? CARE TO SHARE?

To see my work in front of a wider audience.





42.               ANYTHING YOU’D LIKE TO ADD?



Thanks!







Some of Sarah's poetry via YouTube




  
Clancy's comment: Thank you, Sarah. I loved your answer to number 22. Keep going.

I'm ....










No comments:

Post a Comment